55g caster sugar
180g plain flour
(Heat the oven to 190*C)
– cream together the butter and the sugar until smooth.
– stir in the flour to form a smooth paste
– turn on to a work surface and gently roll out until around 1cm thick
– cut into rounds or fingers and place onto a baking tray, or roll out into a large circle and score into triangle segments
– sprinkle with caster sugar and prick the tops in an even pattern, then chill in the fridge for 20 minutes before baking
– bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until pale golden-brown
– cool on a wire rack before eating
*get creative and cut into your own shape
**you could add lemon zest, chocolate chips, ginger spice or caraway seeds (amongst others) for a flavoured shortbread.