A christmas twist on a traditional English dessert with sweet pears infused with spiced red wine.
3 ripe pears
2 cups mulled wine
vanilla madeira/pound cake, sliced
200ml double cream
*you will need an 10-12″ trifle dish
– peel, core and slice pears, then place in a saucepan with the mulled wine
– bring wine to the boil, then reduce heat, cover and leave to infuse for 30 minutes, or until the pears are soft and stained a burgundy red colour
– remove pears from the wine with a slotted spoon and spread out on a plate to cool – retain wine for use later
– while the pears cool, whisk the cream until thickened, but still soft
– to assemble, dip both sides of each slice of madeira cake in the poaching wine and place in the bottom on your trifle dish – cut odd pieces of sponge until the base is completely covered and there are no gaps
– pour any left over wine over the sponge
– spread the pear slices on top of your sponge layer
– pour over a 1 1/2-2cm thick layer of custard
– use a piping bag to pipe on a top layer of cream
*store in fridge until needed – best eaten on the day made!